Russel,
If you view the "observer-moments" as transitions  rather than states, then  there is no need  for requiring a time dimension. Each observer-moments carries with it its own subjective feeling of time. Different observer-moments can form vast networks without any time requirement.

Saibal
IMHO  the main difference between ASSA and RSSA is that measure is assumed to be absolute in ASSA and relative in RSSA. Accidental or intended death in ASSA corresponds to an objective decrease in measure (as seen by first or third person). In RSSA death is accompanied by a decrease in the measure of a first person as seen by a 3rd person. However, measure of a first person as seen by a first person remains constant.

Because of this drastic difference, ASSA and RSSA supporters are led to widely different views of Quantum immortality.

George

Russell Standish wrote:
Saibal Mitra wrote:

To get the effect you were suggesting would require another type of
SSA, about which I have complete failure of imagination.

I think it is similar. You have a set of all universes which we identify
with descriptions or programs. Embedded in these descriptions are
descriptions of self aware substructures. A measure on the set of all
programs defines a measure on the set of all substructures. I then say:
''That's all there is''. The proponents of RSSA go further and postulate new
rules about what the next experience of a SAS should be. What you are
actually doing is promoting our experience of the flowing of time to
fundamental law. However, this is something that should be derived from more
fundamental concepts.

Saibal

The flowing of subjective time is proposed as necessary for conscious
observation. In order for information to exist, there must be a
difference between two states. In order to perceive that difference,
there must be at least one dimension along which the observer must
move to experience that difference. Hence time.

Yes it is an assumption (or postulate). But hardly ad hoc.

						Cheers

A/Prof Russell Standish            	 Director
High Performance Computing Support Unit, Phone 9385 6967, 8308 3119 (mobile)
UNSW SYDNEY 2052                     	 Fax   9385 6965, 0425 253119 (")
Australia            			 [EMAIL PROTECTED]