Russell Standish writes:

> Consciousness is the state of "being like something" to use Nagel's
> term. It is also the characteristic of the "reference class" in
> Anthropic reasoning.
>
> Self-awareness is being aware of oneself as a distinct thing different
> from the environment.
>
> It is not immediately obvious that these are identical - but perhaps
> I'm overlooking something.

I always took it for granted that they were the much the same. I suppose I can be conscious without actively being self-aware, but a moment's reflection will indicate that there is an "I" if I'm having any sort of experience. The mysterious thing is raw conscious experience: if you can explain that, the idea that "I am a thinking being separate from my environment" isn't fundamentally different to any other idea you might have.

Stathis Papaioannou