Tom Caylor wrote:

  S_p
> can be expressed by a finite number, since the substitution itself can
> be expressed by a finite number (whatever is written on the tape/CD or
> other storage/transmitting device).

Does your 'interpretation' of 'Yes doctor' leave open all assumptions
about actual *instantiation* of S_p? You refer above to the 'tape/CD or
other storage/transmitting device'. Is an additional act of faith
required such that we trust the doctor not merely to leave S_p to
gather dust on a shelf? Or, if he does cause the instantiation of S_p
(even assuming it to be equivalent to S_c) in terms of some
unconstrained choice among arbitrarily many machine 'architectures'
(electronic, hydraulic, mechanical, Platonic, you-name-it) I am to
further trust that my experience will remain invariant to the actual
physical behaviour thus enacted? Or is the assumption of YD within a
'comp' that additionally assumes AR+CT supposed to subsume all the
above issues, and if so why?

How far do we up the ante here?

David