On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 01:32:14PM +1000, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

> Bruno Marchal writes:
>
> > > The other sticking point is, given computationalism
> > > is right, what does it take to implement a computation? There have
> > > been arguments
> > > that a computation is implemented by any physical system (Putnam,
> > > Searle, Moravec)
> > > and by no physical system (Maudlin, Bruno Marchal).
> >

> > OK. To be sure Maudlin would only partially agree. Maudlin shows (like
> > me) that we have:
> >
> > NOT COMP or NOT PHYSICAL SUPERVENIENCE
>
> That sentence summarises the problem pretty well. We have to agree that there
> is this dichotomy before proceeding further, and I don't think most
> computationalists do.

To be sure, this is not how I interpret Maudlin or the movie-graph
argument. I interpret it as NOT COMP or NOT PHYS SUP or NOT SINGLE_UNIVERSE.

In a multiple universe (eg Everett style MWI), all counterfactuals are
instantiated as well, so physical supervenience (over all branches) is
compatible to COMP, and not equivalent to a recording.

Cheers

may safely ignore this attachment.