Russell Standish wrote:

> > > OK. To be sure Maudlin would only partially agree. Maudlin shows (like
> > > me) that we have:
> > >

> > That sentence summarises the problem pretty well. We have to agree that
> > there is this dichotomy before proceeding further, and I don't think most
> > computationalists do.
> >
> To be sure, this is not how I interpret Maudlin or the movie-graph
> argument. I interpret it as NOT COMP or NOT PHYS SUP or NOT SINGLE_UNIVERSE.
> In a multiple universe (eg Everett style MWI), all counterfactuals are
> instantiated as well, so physical supervenience (over all branches) is
> compatible to COMP, and not equivalent to a recording.

That is an interesting point. However, a computation would have to be
with all related branches in order to bring all the counterfactuals (or
conditionals) into a single computation.

 (IOW treating branches individually would fall back into the problems
of the Movie approach)

If a computation is associated with all branches, consciousness will
also be
according to computationalism. That will bring on a White Rabbit
problem with a vengeance.

However, it is not that computation cannot be associated with
in single-universe theories -- in the form of unrealised possibilities,
dispositions and so on. If consciousness supervenes on
computation , then it supervenes on such counterfactuals too;
this amounts to the response to Maudlin's argument in
wich the physicalist abandons the claim that consciousness supervenes
on activity.

Of ocurse, unactualised possibilities in a sinlge universe are never
going to lead to
any White Rabbit!.