Peter Jone swrites:

> > What I meant was, if a computer program can be associated with
> > consciousness, then a rigid and deterministic computer program can also
> > be associated with consciousness -
>

> That doesn't follow. Comutationalists don't
> have to believe any old programme is conscious.
> It might be the case that only an indeterministic
> one will do. A deterministic programme could
> be exposed as a programme in a Turing Test.

Then you're saying something strange and non-physical happens to explain
why a program is conscious on the first run when it passes the Turing test
but not on the second run when it deterministically repeats all the physical
states
of the first run in response to a recording of your keystrokes from the first
run.

Stathis Papaioannou