Le 05-sept.-06, à 15:38, 1Z a écrit :

>> The conscious computations, on the other hand, are there and
>> self-aware
>
> Not really. They are just possibilities.
>
>>  even though we cannot interact with them, just as all the statues in
>> a block of marble would be conscious
>> if statues were conscious and being embedded in marble did not render
>> them unconscious.
>
> But that gets to the heart of the paradox. You are suggesting that
> conscious
> computations are still conscious even thought hey don't exst and
> are mere possiiblities! That is surely a /reductio/ of one of your
> premisses

The everything-lister, with or without comp, takes as natural the idea
that all possibilities exist, and that actuality is just a possibility
viewed from that possibility. It is known by some philosopher as the
indexical approach of actuality. Very common for the explanation of
time (cf Saunders, Deutsch, Einstein, ...), it can be used for all sort
of actuality, not just the indexical "nowness" but also "hereness",
etc.