Peter Jones writes:

> > > No necessarily, because the mapping is required too. Why should
> > > it still be conscious if no-one is around to make the mapping.
> >
> > Are you claiming that a conscious machine stops being conscious if its
> > designers die
> > and all the information about how it works is lost?
>
> You are, if anyone is. I don't agree that computation *must* be
> interpreted,
> although they *can* be re-interpreted.

What I claim is this:

A computation does not *need* to be interpreted, it just is. However, a
computation
does need to be interpreted, or interact with its environment in some way, if
it is to be
interesting or meaningful. By analogy, a string of characters is a string of
characters
whether or not anyone interprets it, but it is not interesting or meaningful
unless it is
interpreted. But if a computation, or for that matter a string of characters,
is conscious,
then it is interesting and meaningful in at least one sense in the absence of
an external
observer: it is interesting and meaningful to itself. If it were not, then it
wouldn't be
conscious. The conscious things in the world have an internal life, a first
person
phenomenal experience, a certain ineffable something, whatever you want to call
it,
while the unconscious things do not. That is the difference between them.

Stathis Papaioannou