Peter Jones writes:

> > That's what I'm saying, but I certainly don't think everyone agrees with me
> > on the list, and
> > I'm not completely decided as to which of the three is more absurd: every
> > physical system
> > implements every conscious computation, no physical system implements any
> > conscious
> > computation (they are all implemented non-physically in Platonia), or the
> > idea that a
> > computation can be conscious in the first place.
>

> You haven't made it clear why you don't accept that every physical
> system
> implements one computation, whether it is a
> conscious computation or not. I don't see what
> contradicts it.

Every physical system does implement every computation, in a trivial sense, as
every rock
is a hammer and a doorstop and contains a bust of Albert Einstein inside it.
Those three aspects
of rocks are not of any consequence unless there is someone around to
appreciate them.
Similarly, if the vibration of atoms in a rock under some complex mapping are
calculating pi
that is not of any consequence unless someone goes to the trouble of
determining that mapping,
and even then it wouldn't be of any use as a general purpose computer unless
you built another
general purpose computer to dynamically interpret the vibrations (which does
not mean the rock
isn't doing the calculation without this extra computer). However, if busts of
Einstein were conscious
regardless of the excess rock around them, or calculations of pi were conscious
regardless of the
absence of anyone being able to appreciate them, then the existence of the rock
in an otherwise
empty universe would necessitate the existence of at least those two conscious
processes.

Computationalism says that some computations are conscious. It is also a
general principle of
computer science that equivalent computations can be implemented on very
different hardware
and software platforms; by extension, the vibration of atoms in a rock can be
seen as implementing
any computation under the right interpretation. Normally, it is of no
consequence that a rock
implements all these computations. But if some of these computations are
conscious (a consequence
of computationalism) and if some of the conscious computations are conscious in
the absence of
environmental input, then every rock is constantly implementing all these
conscious computations.
To get around this you would have to deny that computations can be conscious,
or at least restrict
the conscious computations to specific hardware platforms and programming
languages. This destroys
computationalism, although it can still allow a form of functionalism. The
other way to go is to reject
the supervenience thesis and keep computationalism, which would mean that every
computation
(includidng the conscious ones) is implemented necessarily in the absence of
any physical process.

Stathis Papaioannou