Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

>>>OK. This has been a long and complicated thread.

>>>I think it goes against standard computationalism if you say that a conscious
>>>computation has some inherent structural property.
>

> I should have said, that the *hardware* has some special structural property
> goes
> against computationalism. It is difficult to pin down the "structure" of a
> computation
> without reference to a programming language or hardware. The idea is that the
> same computation can look completely different on different computers, the
> corollary
> of which is that any computer (or physical process) may be implementing any
> computation, we just might not know about it. It is legitimate to say that
> only
> particular computers (eg. brains, or PC's) using particular languages arev
> actually
> implementing conscious computations, but that is not standard
> computationalism.
>
> Statthis Papaioannou

I thought standard computationalism was just the modest position that if the
hardware
of your brain were replaced piecemeal by units with the same input-output at
some
microscopic level usually assumed to be neurons, you'd still be you and you'd
still
be conscious.

I don't recall anything about all computations implementing consciousness?

Brent Meeker