Bruno Marchal wrote:
> Le 10-oct.-06, à 16:08, 1Z a écrit :
> > If your Platonism is about truth, bot existence, you cannot show
> > that matter is redundant,
> Ah!  I am glad you see my argument is a redundancy argument. If comp is
> true we cannot rely on the hypothesis of primary matter to explain even
> just the physical laws (not to talk on consciousness).

Primary matter was never *supposed* to explain either of
those things. That is a straw-man version of materialism.

> > because if your UD doesn't exist
> > in Platonia,
> ... but the UD exists in Platonia. The ontological status of the UD is
> the same as the ontological status of the number 5.

Whatever that is. A purely mathematical argument can tell us they
have the same ontological status; it cannot tell us what that status
is. The question of what a mathematical existence-claim
means ontologically requires a philosophical argument.

> Peano Arithmetic
> can prove the existence of the UD.

The mathematical existence. Pure maths cannot prove anything

> >  it doesn't exist in the material world either, so it
> > doesn't exist at all, and therefore cannot replace anything that does
> > exist.
> Actually an instantiation of the UD exists in the "material world" too
> (as far as the material world exists of course). The UD is just a
> prgram. You can see its code here:
> 4%20GEN%20&%20DU.pdf

But it requires infinite time to run.

To post to this group, send email to