Jason wrote:
If that is true then my underlying assumptions were flawed.  My
argument assumed that a non-reversible universe could not be simulated
by a computer with bounded memory and using only reversible
computations.  The way I arrived at this assumption was imagining a
non-reversible universe, such as the John Conway's game of life.  If
the computer that implements this simulation has limited memory then in
order for the simulation to continue forever, prior states cannot be
saved in memory and instead old states would have to be overwritten.
This destruction of information which cannot be undone would be
logically irreversible as I understand it.  However if the simulation
were one where each state has a 1 to 1 mapping, overwritting old states
does not destroy them forever because previous states could always be
computed from the current state.

Ok, I understand your argument more clearly now. But, why do you assume a
computer with bounded memory? Even with a finite amount of energy, we can
(theoretically) obtain unbounded memory by spreading it over an unbounded
volume of space. I'd guess that in practice this has approximately the same
level of difficulty as achieving an unbounded number of computations from a
finite amount of energy.