Hi,

Le Vendredi 19 Janvier 2007 12:20, William a écrit :
I have been reading up on this subject a little bit and about the
quantum immortality, I believe it is a common misconception that this
means you will never die; if all future branches involve your death,
then you will die ... Quantum immortality does not imply that you can
dodge every bullet and that the "you of today" will still live
tomorrow, although the "you of yesterday" could still live tomorrow
whilst the "you of today" does not.

It would be the case if the multiverse contains "cul-de-sac" places... If you take the approach that every moments have a successor moment, then quantum immortality predict you'll never loose conscioussness.

Also I personally do not believe ASSA favours a MWI interpretation of
quantum mechanics over a deterministic one because a "single MWI
universe" will be less probable than a "single deterministic universe".
But it might favour MWI over Copenhagen interpretation.

I personnaly believe ASSA is broken... because for one thing it cannot explain stream of consciousness, arrow of time and so on... RSSA can.

With RSSA you don't assume that "you" is sampled from all moments, but only sampled from moments consistent where the current "you" is in.

If the universe splits into 2 universes each second; I do not
necissarily see an issue as explained by Stathis Papaioannou in his
post. And it is even a fact that you are more probable to live in the
year 2000 than in the year 1000 because the human population has grown;
but once we go to infinities, the same approach might not work anymore
(although I am still debating about this myself) ...

Anyway, I do not believe that MWI favours later moments in time over
earlier moments in time. Although the number of universes increases,
their individual probability decreases, keeping the total probability
equal (although relativity might complicate a more rigorous approach).
A simple way of picturing this, would be that at the big bang; the
universe is 1 piece of paper, and from then on, every second, the
piece(s) of paper is cut in half; giving 1, 2, 4, 8, ... universes. The
total area of paper remains the same and all the pieces get smaller all
the time, this means that the chance of being in a particular universe
as the universe splitting progresses, even decreases :).

All of this is to kept ASSA which I don't think is true (not even logically true).

Quentin