Brent Meeker wrote:

>chris peck wrote:
> > I have a question for people here who know the issues better than me:
> >
> > I was having an argument about alleged Quantum Immortality/Quantum
>suicide
> > with some people who argue that because the 2nd law of thermodynamics
> > continues regardless in each universe a 'me' continues within, I should
> > ultimately age away, therefore Quantum immortality is a lost cause in
> > principle.
> >
> > Any counter arguements or agreements with this would be appreciated.
> >
> > chris.
>
>The 2nd law is a statistical result - it only means that you will age away
>in almost all universes.
>
>Brent Meeker

Even that seems too pessimistic to me--like I said in my post, the 2nd law
allows for systems to maintain low entropy indefinitely if they are
non-isolated, and they have some external low-entropy "food" to use. So
unless it's inevitable that the universe goes to heat death after some
finite time (as opposed to increasing forever without hitting a maximum, or
collapsing in a Big Crunch), you don't necessarily even need a
"thermodynamic miracle" to live forever.

Jesse