John Mikes wrote:
> Chris,
> I am with this list for a decade or so, and learned that this group
> accepts a negative
> position as well, not only 'hosanna' to the 'officially (here) accepted
> one. So here it
> comes:
> In my (heretic? and personal) view
> 1. universes in the Multiverse are not necessarily identical, indeed
> "all possible" (see
> Stathis' reply to you) means IMO diversity vs identity, so I find it
> unfounded that "in
> all 'other' universes the 2nd law should flourish" (indeed I consider it
> even here some
> (reductionist) model-related (and restricted) deduction from our limited
> observational
> skills and their 'historic' (applied math based) explanation).

That's a good point. Of course if all possible universes eventuate with equal
probability, the 2nd law will hold because that is just what is assumed by it -
there are a lot more ways to age than to stay young.  But why "with equal
probability".  Bruno's UD must produce some measure on the universes it
generates, but it's not clear that this agrees with the physicists
equi-probable (hence the white rabbit problem.  Incidentally why do we call it
"the white rabbit problem"? White rabbits are quite common.  Why isn't it "the
white crow problem"?)

> 2. In my view of an interactive wholeness "we" exist in here (if really)
> - in relation to
> the TOTAL of THIS universe - a transfer into different background
> (universe?) would
> necessarily discontinue our complexity (uncuttable total 'self?') we are
> here.
> What may happen 'there' (if...) is at best an assumption and I would not
> draw further conclusions (definitely not as accepted facts!) by
> building further levels on unfounded
> assumptions - no matter how fit they may be to a theory we favor.

You imply that our theories are just a matter of "favor".  If our theory is one
supported by the scientific method (and like the 2nd law maybe very much
contrary to our favor) then it is the best tool we have for speculating about
things we cannot (yet?) test.  There's a difference between wishful speculation
and informed extrapolation.  They may both be wrong, the latter is the way to
bet.

Brent Meeker