On 3/13/07, Mohsen Ravanbakhsh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

*Why?  "Mathematical" means nothing but not self-contradictory.  Sherlock
> Holmes stories are mathematical.  That doesn't mean Sherlock Holmes exists
> in some Platonic realm.
> *
>
> Brent,
>
> What do you mean by that? I do not get your point.
> Anyway I do not insist that it should be realizable. But I have examples
> in which we need them!
> Consider the use of Pythagoras theorem in nature. There are many cases in
> which the distance between two points should be irrational.

Not necessarily. If you draw a diagonal on a square on a computer screen, it
will be made up of a discrete number of pixels despite what Pythagoras'
theorem calculates. Irrational in the real world may just be an illusion.

Stathis Papaioannou