Mohsen Ravanbakhsh wrote:
> Bent, Stathis,
> Suppose that space is discrete. It has some elementary unit. Let's call
> it SU.
> Suppose there are 3 of these units out there in a right triangular
> fashion( L shape)
> Then what is the distance between two distant angles? is it made up of
> some integer numbers of space unit? Pythagoras' theorem says no. You
> might say we can not measure such distance because when we're talking
> about elements of space there should be nothing smaller than it... So
> what is that distance? How you gonna make a discrete space when it's
> intuitively continuous.

How are you going to circumnavigate the Earth when it's intuitively flat?
Maybe you can't arrange such a triangle for the smallest units.  The metric
that gives x^2 + y^2 = r^2 only one possibility (and one we think doesn't apply
near matter because of general relativity).

Brent Meeker

To post to this group, send email to