Hi all,

> One thing I still don't understand, is in what sense exactly is the "Measure
> Problem" a problem? Why isn't it good enough to say that everything exists,
> therefore we (i.e. people living in a lawful universe) must exist, and
> therefore we shouldn't be surprised that we exist. If the "Measure Problem"
> is a problem, then why isn't there also an analogous "Lottery Problem" for
> people who have won the lottery?

thank you Wei Dei, I have expressed something similar concerning the
Doomsday Argument which has the same reasoning flaw.

You can't reason about probabilities "inside" the system and be
surprised that you are in "location" A or B.

Example:

1) If I draw from an urn with 1 Million white balls and 1 black ball, I
should be pretty surprised if I draw the black one.

2) If I am a black ball in an urn (same distribution as above) and I
only become conscious if I am drawn and I suddenly "wake up" to find
myself drawn, I shouldn't be surprised at all - my being drawn was a
condition for being a perceptive being.

I think a mixing up of these two viewpoints underly much of "measure
problem", doomsday and other arguments of the same sort.

Regards,
Günther

--
Günther Greindl