I recommend the movie "The prestige". (2006 movie by Christopher Nolan
based on a novel by Christopher Priest).

Simulacron three (the book by Galouye, or "the thirteen floor" movie)
is the best introduction to our general topic (imo), especially through
comp and simulated reality. Matrix and many similar movies or novels
(Blade Runner for example) can be seen in that spirit too.

But "The prestige" got the point, (without hiding the cruelty, and
using "magic" to make communicable the non communicable). "The
prestige" can be seen as a conclusion!  I can hardly add anything. To
see twice!