2008/4/22 Tom Caylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>  Your "external event" is part of what I was referring to as "out
>  there". I would argue for the consistency and the merits of the view
>  that our identity is tied not only to our brains but also to events
>  recorded outside of our brains.  Someone with Alzheimers still has a
>  history (and also an identity) recorded externally to their brains, a
>  history that can be read by other persons.  I know, the quantum
>  superposition view entails that there are multiple histories being
>  read by multiple persons in multiple universes.  As I have said before
>  on this list, I think that this just multiplies the problem.  If your
>  identity is tied only to your brain, and the first person observer
>  moments that it can experience based solely on internal "memory", then
>  you have multiple people in multiple universes treating the Alzheimers
>  patient as worthless (since they know that the patient cannot remember
>  these accomplishments), and multiple Alzheimers patients believing
>  that he/she is worthless, with no identity so speak of.  What's wrong
>  with the view that our memory is augmented by the external world
>  around us?  In fact, it has been discussed here before that perhaps
>  consciousness itself needs a world external to our "brains" in order
>  to keep living.  I'm for the view that life/consciousness/everything
>  is about relationships rather than data.

The Alzheimer's patient is significant to other people because they
remember him and maintain a relationship with him. If he has forgotten
who exactly they are but still retains some sort of emotional
attachment to them - "the nice woman who has come to visit me" - then
that is a feeling and it is part of the content of the observer
moment. But as memory and cognition deteriorate and only the
vegetative functions remain, then unfortunately what makes the person
a person is fading away. That's why it's so sad when a family member
gets Alzheimer's.

--
Stathis Papaioannou