Michael Rosefield wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1) My thoughts are that an act of euthanasia would be more likely to
> 'push' the consciousness of the patient to some hitherto unlikely
> scenario - any situation where death is probable requires an improbable
> get-out clause. The patient may well find themselves in a world where
> their suffering is curable/has been cured. Might even be brains-in-jars
> time.
>
> 2) I think that neural systems possess a quality called something like
> 'graceful decline;' the brain can undergo a lot of random damage before
> its function is significantly affected. But once it does start to go
> down the toilet, I'm not sure what the conscious experience of that
> would be. Presumably it would be something like Alzheimers or a pretty
> bad case of the mornings, and everything would appear to be rather
> scattershot and disconnected. From the perspective of the victim (I
> would say 'patient' again, but let's face it - this is one mean
> scenario!) I wonder if this weakens the connection to this particular
> context, and they'd find it more likely to move in the direction of
> universes in which the process is reversed or nullified.

You seem to implicitly assume that the subject's consciousness is a single,
unified "thing" that can move hither and yon in the Hilbert space of the
universe.  But the multiple-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, on
which
the above scenarios are based, says that the physical basis of consciousness
splits almost continuously into non-interacting subspaces.  Are we to suppose
that your other brains in Hilbert space are empty of consciousness until you
"move" to them?

Brent Meeker