Kory Heath wrote:
> On Nov 15, 2008, at 5:12 AM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
>
>> But if any computation can be mapped onto any physical state, then
>> every computation can be mapped onto one physical state; and why not
>> the null state?

I'm not sure that works.  In the original idea the mapping was to be
one-to-one (which is possible since a stone or other physical object has
many microscopic states).  If the mapping is something like:

computation-state1---map1---->physical-state0
computation-state2---map2---->physical-state0
computation-state3---map3---->physical-state0

then the inverse mapping,

physical-state0---1map--->computation-state1
physical-state0---2map--->computation-state2
physical-state0---3map--->computation-state3

has to implicitly provide it's own order.  So for the physical-state0 to
implement the computation there would have to be another index variable,
like time, to order the inverse mapping.  Then it would really be

physical-state0@ t=1---1map--->computation-state1
physical-state0@ t=2---2map--->computation-state2
physical-state0@ t=3---3map--->computation-state3

Right?