On Nov 19, 2008, at 1:43 PM, Brent Meeker wrote:
> So I'm puzzled as to how answer Bruno's question.  In general I
> don't believe in
> zombies, but that's in the same way I don't believe my glass of
> water will
> freeze at 20degC.  It's an opinion about what is likely, not what is
> possible.

I take this to mean that you're uncomfortable with thought experiments
which revolve around logically possible but exceedingly unlikely
events. I think that's understandable, but ultimately, I'm on the
philosopher's side. It really is logically possible - although
exceedingly unlikely - for a random-number-generator to cause a robot
to walk around, talk to people, etc. It really is logically possible
for a computer program to use a random-number-generator to generate a
lattice of changing bits that "follows" Conway's Life rule. Mechanism
and materialism needs to answer questions about these scenarios,
regardless of how unlikely they are.

-- Kory