2008/11/23 Jason Resch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> I would side with Kory that a looked up recording of conscious activity is
> not conscious.  My argument being that static information has no implicit
> meaning because there are an infinite number of ways a bit string can be
> interpreted.  However in a running program the values of the bits do have
> implicit meaning according to the rules of the state machine.

One part of the system has meaning relative to another part. However,
what if we consider the whole system? We could then say that the left
half, computer A, has meaning relative to the right half, computer B.
It doesn't matter that an outside observer could come up with
infinitely many meanings, any more than it matters that an alien could
up with infinitely many interpretations of an English sentence.

--
Stathis Papaioannou