Hi Bruno,
I feel your angst. The received view is a blunt and frightened beast,
guarded by the ignorant and uncreative in wily protection of turf and
co-conspirator. I recently did a powerpoint presentation called
"rejection 101". It sounds like you have been through exactly what I
have been through - except on a geological timescale that would tire a
god. Although I am starting to make progress... I regard that progress
to be achieved in spite of them, not because of their vision or
knowledge. The science I thought I was going to find was full of those
who frolic in ideas.... sadly I was mistaken. Now, when I think I have
made progress - I know that progress to be mediated by the less than
adequate  - and promulgated by momentum rather than incisive scrutiny-
and it doesn't feel good.

see file *2008_Thu_23_Oct.pdf * in the googlegroups everythinglist file

So Amoebas speak english now, eh? Excellent. :-)