2009/4/4 Brent Meeker <meeke...@dslextreme.com>:

>> I have been using the term "memories" to include more than just long
>> term memories. For example, I have a feeling of "being me" which
>> persists from moment to moment. Even though I can't put this feeling
>> into words, I would know immediately if something happens to change
>> it, since then I would no longer "feel myself". While specific to each
>> person, nevertheless this basal feeling would be more generic than the
>> feeling + superimposed complex cognition, since the latter would have
>> higher information content.
>>

> And doesn't this feeling of "being me" requires very short terms
> (~second) memory?  I've called it "immediate memory" to distinguish it
> from the short term memory which seems to be on the order of a few minutes.

Yes, it obviously requires some kind of very short term memory, since
I would be instantly aware if something changed. When I use the term
"memory" in discussions on personal identity I assume that it covers
this sort of memory as well as the memory of who I am and what the
last word I typed was.

--
Stathis Papaioannou