Jason Resch wrote:
> Kelly,
>
> Your arguments are compelling and logical, you have put a lot of doubt
> in my mind about computationalism.  I have actually been in somewhat
> of a state of confusion since Bruno's movie graph argument coupled
> with a paper by Max Tegmark.  In Tegmark's paper, he was explaining
> that there is an appeal to many people of associating the time
> dimension with the computational clock, but argued there is no reason
> to do so, time is just another dimension after all, and everything
> being an atemporal platonic/mathematical object any perception of
> change is illusory.

That's a common model but it's certainly not a settled question in
physics.  Just recently Sean Carroll wrote a paper titled "What if Time
Really Exists?"  http://arxiv.org/abs/0811.3772.   And even in a block
universe model the time dimension is still different from the space
dimensions.

> Later, when Bruno explained his movie graph
> argument, it came to the point where we were asked: Is a recording of
> Alice's brain activity itself conscious?  I first thought obviously
> no, but then realized the contradiction with space-time.  Could the
> block-time view of the universe not be considered a recording?
> Perhaps the difference between a recording (like Tape or CD) and the
> universe (or a computer program/simulation) is that with a physical
> recording it is possible to alter a state at one point in time without
> affecting future/past states.

This implicitly assumes that you can dispense with the continuum and
treat the process as a succession of discrete states.  I question that.
It is how we think and how we write and describe computer programs and
we know that if we make the time step small enough in the simulation we
can accurately reproduce processes.  But I think we are fooling
ourselves by taking the description in terms of discrete states to be
sufficient - actually we are relying on the physics of the computer to
join one state to the next.  Bruno proposes to abstract this whole
process up to Platonia where the role of the computer in interpreting
the program is taken over by abstract computations.  But then to avoid
any choice he must allow all possible (countably infinite)  computations
between any two states.  ISTM this implies a strange topology of states
and I'm not clear on how it models consciousness.

> Or maybe consciousness is only created
> from platonic objects / information or relationships that exist within
> them.  The appeal of computationalism for me is that it creates a
> self-interpreting structure, the information or state has meaning only
> because it is part a state machine.  We, being creatures who can only
> experience through time might be fooled into thinking change over time
> is necessary for consciousness, but what if we could make a computer
> that computed over the X-dimension instead of T, what would such a
> computer look like and how would it be logically different from a
> recording (which is static over T), and how is it logically different
> from a computer that computes accross the T dimension?

I don't think it is *logically* different.  Before computers, a
computation was something written out on sheets of paper (I know because
my first summer job in college was calculating coordinates and depths
for a geological research company and my official job title was
"Computer".)  :-)

Brent