2009/9/16 Flammarion <peterdjo...@yahoo.com>:

>> I find that I can't real say what the difference is supposed to be
>> between numbers existing mathematically and numbers existing
>> Platonically, other than that different labels are being used.  What
>> precisely is the latter supposed to entail that the former does not,
>> and what difference is this supposed to make?  Can you help, Peter?
>
> Existing mathematically doesn't have any ontoloigcal meaning.
> Both formalists and Platonists can agree that 7 exists,
> since they agree Ex:x=7 is true, but only the latter think
> 7 has Platonic existence.

Yes, but I still don't see what difference the word 'ontological'
makes in this context.  Surely whatever world-conjuring power numbers
may possess can't depend on which label is attached to them?  If a
mathematical scheme fulfils a deep enough explanatory role (a moot
point I admit) isn't that 'ontological' enough?

David