On 11 Nov 2009, at 19:52, Brent Meeker wrote:

> But how is the "first person point of view" defined?  Can this theory
> tell me how many persons exist at a given time?

I come back on this. The question "how many persons?" is a question
which remains very hard in the mechanist theory.

To answer it, let me ask you a question. Suppose that old fashioned
time travel is possible, and that Brent Meeker of the future decides
to travel in the past, and to say hello to the younger Brent Meeker.
They met in a kitchen and drink coffee. Nobody else is present in the
kitchen. How many person are there in the kitchen? What would you say?

I think this: if you answer one, then I will tend to say that there is
only one person in the multiverse, but it manifests itself in
different overlapping contexts. If you answer "two", then I will tend
to say that there are an infinity of persons in the multiverse.

What do you think?

Note that in UDA, I use a definition of first person which identify a
person with its personal memory, and so where many different persons
can exist.
But in AUDA, I use a more mathematical definition which eventually
identify all persons. Then they can differentiate through a mixture of
amnesia (they forget that they are the "universal person"), and
personal memories (which they will use as self-identification means).