Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 11 Nov 2009, at 19:52, Brent Meeker wrote:
>

>> But how is the "first person point of view" defined?  Can this theory
>> tell me how many persons exist at a given time?
>

> I come back on this. The question "how many persons?" is a question
> which remains very hard in the mechanist theory.
>
> To answer it, let me ask you a question. Suppose that old fashioned time
> travel is possible, and that Brent Meeker of the future decides to
> travel in the past, and to say hello to the younger Brent Meeker. They
> met in a kitchen and drink coffee. Nobody else is present in the
> kitchen. How many person are there in the kitchen? What would you say?
>
> I think this: if you answer one, then I will tend to say that there is
> only one person in the multiverse, but it manifests itself in different
> overlapping contexts. If you answer "two", then I will tend to say that
> there are an infinity of persons in the multiverse.
>
> What do you think?

I think closed time-like loops are probably impossible.  But your answer
just points to possible equivocation on "person".  The time traveling
Brent is a different person from the untraveled Brent because he has
different memories just as the 70yr old Brent is a different person than
the 10yr old Brent.  But in another sense - causal continuity - they are
  the same person.  It isn't necessary to introduce time travel to
create this confusion of terms.

But the first part of my question was about how a "first person view" is
defined in this mathematical abstraction?  What computations must my
computer perform so that it has a first person view?

Brent
The person I was when I was 3 years old is dead. He died because
too much new information was added to his brain.
          -- Saibal Mitra