Hi Bruno

>And here there is a famous difficulty, which is that physicists and
>logicians use very different if not opposite vocabulary.
>Logicians distinguish a theory (-usually a finite or recursive
>(mechanically decidable) thing, and its interpretation (usually an
>infinite mathematical structure.

This must be difficult. How can any theory be interpreted without the
formalisms or some model.  It is often said that with the many worlds
interpretation it is the mathematics which tends to give us the lead
on how to interpret Quantum Mechanics.  It was this that made me tend
to agree with the many worlders.  Can you give a simple example of
what you mean?

>In the comp frame, it is even more difficult, given that we are going
>through a metatheory, where both the theory and its interpretations
>are studied at the theory level, and then we have to consider the
>fixed point of the interpretation function.
>Intuitively, you can understand that with comp, we do confuse,
>purposefully, the map and the territory. You can see a brain as a
>theory of reality. But that reality contains a brain. So, at some
>point the brain will accept (or bet)  that it is itself an object in
>that theory, and the computationalist practicers will have to bet that
>is "brain-theory" is well described (relatively to his neighborhood)
>by a finite thing (its own backup in such or that machine).
>It is not stranger that Brouwer fixed point in geometry or topology.
>After all, we know that if the map of a territory is continuously
>embedded in the territory, a point of the map will be confused with a
>point in the territory. It is the indexical "You are here" point of
>the map. Likewise, in computer science, the meaning of a program can
>be described by a fixed point of some universal transformation (like
>in Scott denotational semantics, for example).

A map is a kind of (mathematical) model of reality so although there
is a one to one correspondence between the points on the map to
reality I still can’t see the trick of how to get through your step
8.  Sorry if I am seeming stupid.

>To understand this well, it is necessary to NOT confuse a theory, with
>his mathematical interpretation, and to NOT confuse a mathematical
>interpretation with an interpretation in some reality. Physicists have
>not yet this level of sophistication. They usually confuse a theory
>(the SWE for example) with the mathematical (standard) interpretation
>(the wave function).  This can lead to many misunderstanding of what
>the logicians are doing, especially in applied logic.

I’m struggling with this one as stated above.

>Concerning the existence of platonic Turing Universal Machine, it is
>equivalent with the platonic existence of the prime numbers, or the
>even numbers, etc. With Church thesis you can eliminate the "Turing"
>label.

>Bruno

I can understand that numbers and arithmetic operations (as well as a
whole lot of other stuff) exist as some kind of objective reality
(called a platonic reality).  These archetypal “things” are to me
clearly discovered by us rather than invented.  But that our dynamic
world emerges somehow from this static ethereal repository seems very
difficult to see.

I’m missing the trick here.  Maybe its some kind of insight
restructured perception that I need.
I will try to read up some more to see if I can make some more
progress.

Thank you very much for your kind replies.

Happy Christmas

Nick