2010/1/5 Nick Prince <m...@dtech.fsnet.co.uk>:
> Is this because you think of your stream of consciousness as somehow
> like a reel of film?  All the individual pictures could be cut from
> the reel and laid out any which way but the implicit order is always
> there.  I can understand this because all the spatio temporal
> relationships for the actors in the film remain "normal" i.e obey the
> laws of physics.  Deutsch argues similarly in the Fabric of reality.
> In my work I often come across the idea of a foliation of
> hypersurfaces which is really a set of 3D pictures "stuck together and
> stacked in the direction of the time coordinate of the world at a
> given instant of time.  In MW interpretation though I guess that the
> stacking is less certain as in the block universe idea but that's
> another issue.  Is this analogy similar to how you feel  the "obvious"
> experience of time being normal?

(I'm afraid the idea of a foliation of hypersurfaces is wasted on me
as an explanatory aid!)

It's like a reel of film in which the characters are conscious. For an
outside observer rearranging the frames out of sequence and playing
the film would be totally confusing, but for the characters in the
film it would make no difference. because the ordering is implicit in
the information contained in each frame.

Consider a set of three one minute intervals of experience, {S1, S2,
S3}, which belong to a person S. S2 remembers S1 and remembers no gap
or intervening experiences between S2 and S1; S3 remembers S1 and S2
and remembers that S1 preceded S2; and S3 also remembers no gap or
intervening experiences between S2 and S1 or between S3 and S2. In
other words, they are subjectively three consecutive minutes in the
life of S. S is aware that his experiences are generated on a
computer, and he is also aware that they are being generated in one of
two ways: in sequence as S1, S2, S3 or out of sequence as S2, S1, S3.
Does S have any basis for deciding that it is more likely that his
experiences are being generated in sequence?

Stathis Papaioannou