2010/1/6 Nick Prince <m...@dtech.fsnet.co.uk>:
> As I understand it the UD generates all possible programs and as it
> generates each one it runs one step of it before generating the next.
> Does that not mean that eventually it will generate the program which
> is generating what we understand to be some observer moments for us at
> this particular time. This is where I was thinking of the foliation
> bit - each hypersurface is a snapshot in time of the universe as
> experienced by me.  This being said would that not mean they would
> necessarily be in order or are you thinking that some other program.
> could generate by chance a perfectly good observer moment that was out
> of sync?

A program that generates S2 as it were out of nowhere, with false
memories of an S1 that has not yet happened or may never happen, is a
perfectly legitimate program and the UD will generate it along with
all the others. If the UD is allowed to run forever, this program will
be a lower measure contributor to S2 than the program that generates
it sequentially; and similarly in any physicalist theory. But although
S2 may guess from such considerations that he is more likely to have
been generated sequentially, the point remains that there is nothing
in the nature of his experience to indicate this. That is, the fact
that S2 remembers S1 as being in the past and remembers a smooth
transition from S1 to S2 is no guarantee that S1 really did happen in
the past, or even at all.

--
Stathis Papaioannou