> To active participants in the process, it would never seem that intelligence
> ran away, however to outsiders who shun technology, or refuse to augment
> themselves, I think it would appear to run away.  Consider at some point,
> the technology becomes available to upload one's mind into a computer, half
> the population accepts this and does so, while the other half reject it.  On
> this new substrate, human minds could run at one million times the rate of
> biological brains, and in one year's time, the uploaded humans would have
> experienced a million years worth of experience, invention, progress, etc.
> It would be hard to imagine what the uploaded humans would even have in
> common or be able to talk about after even a single day's time (2,700 years
> to those who uploaded).  In this sense, intelligence has run away, from the
> perspective of the biological humans.

Hi! I agree with everything you say. I hadn't until now understood
what is meant by TS. I thought that Kurzweil referred to IE as
"runaway", but now I see that what is meant is simply a large
acceleration in the pace at which events happen. That I can well
believe to be possible. And I guess that before I can talk about an
exponential increase in intelligence, I'd really need to define how
it's measured.