On 01 Sep 2010, at 20:03, David Nyman wrote:

On 1 September 2010 09:21, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

How does my experience of
dreaming of a tree connect to numbers?  What is it that generates my
experience of a tree from the brutely existing substrate of numbers?

Well, from the true but non communicable part given by the self- reference logic of self-introspecting (ideally correct) programs (machine, numbers,
theories ... words are used in a large sense here).

Rex's question excerpted above, and Bruno's response to it, seem to
relate directly to the topic I had in mind in my original post.
Speaking, as it were, somewhat in Bruno's rather "large" sense, the
"brutely existing substrate of numbers" might correspond to that
particular perspective on the Real which is characterised by
abstraction to what I called the pole of maximal fragmentation - i.e.
the role presumably occupied by the quantum field and its
manifestations in current physical theory.  "The self-reference logic
of self-introspecting (ideally correct) programs (machine, numbers,
theories ...", would then be seen in the role of a combinatorial logic
operating over this domain - that occupied, in physical theory, by
whatever are supposed to be considered the fundamental relations
between "physical" ultimates.

The key subtlety then devolves on "the true but non communicable
part".  This seems very difficult to state concisely.  Perhaps what
makes it elusive is that first one has to appreciate that the
self-introspecting logic is (somehow) already capable of grasping that
certain of its beliefs have the characteristic of implying to the
believer, in a certain sense, the "metaphysical distinctness" of their
referents.  To see this, let us consider "Logical-David" - i.e. that
aspect of David that is purely a manifestation of "self-introspecting
(ideally correct) programs".  This Logical-David possesses - i.e. is
(partially) constituted by - certain self-referential beliefs that
mediate relations between "himself" and the "objects of his
experience".  He is already, within the constraints of this purely
logical substrate, capable of demonstrating consistent commitment to
such beliefs, and to their putative referents; indeed this is what
motivates any communicable judgement or statement whatsoever that he
is capable of producing about them.  There is something more, however.
There is something that already seems to him to transcend this purely
logical "substrate", something somehow metaphysically distinct, that
seems to arise from its peculiarly self-referencing character.  It
seems somehow to be those very "objects of experience" themselves.

On reflection, however, Logical-David is (just) able to see that all
these considerations can still be confined within the constitutive
substrate of numbers and combinatorial logic.  Or to put it another
way, as someone notoriously said, "he would say that, wouldn't he"?
Whatever this extra something might, or might not, be, he is incapable
of communicating it directly.

Yes. It is the truth as such that he cannot communicate. The third person description can be confined in the combinatorials, but not the truth. Like the truth of feeling to be the one reconstituted at here or there in self-multipliation. A part of truth is livable, but non communicable as such.

Consequently, purely "logically", he
must (just) concede that any such putative metaphysical distinctness
could still be, from a purely "logical" standpoint, chimerical.

No. G* extended properly G. There is two self-referential logics. The true one, obeying G*, and the communicable part G. The machine can expect that the same thing (truth) obeys different logic (first person, third person). Incompleteness protects the machine from confusing the views. If he takes G* minus G as chimerical, he becomes inconsistent, or it lacks self correctness.

 In
other words, it would appear that he cannot, with pure logic, rule out
the possibility - even to himself - of Logical-David being merely a
zombie.

No. Even the zombie can see that he cannot. That's why the self- referentially correct machine cannot be a zombie.

And indeed, Logical-David is, precisely, such a zombie.

In a sense you are right. But such a third person describable "logical david", is more akin to David's body, than David the (first) person, which (by definition) is connected to the truth. You are confusing Bp, and Bp & p. The third person self and the first person self.

Actually, in this somewhat etiolated form he really should be
considered more an intriguing interpretation of the
mathematico-logical substrate than a person, as it were, in his own
right

Can there be no escape from this seemingly doleful logic?  Yes, if
there is *in fact* a David whose personal individuation is able to
transcend its merely logical embodiment.

That's what G* and its intensional variants offer on a plate.

And such transcendence
indeed implies a metaphysically distinct, direct grasp of certain
truths beyond their mere logical implication; some sort of personal
integration or synthesis - apotheosis, even - correlated with, but
irreducible to, any substrate considered in its purely
analytical-combinatorial aspect.

Exactly. You put things very well. But the G-G* separation makes S4Grz1, the logic of the soul (Bp & p) a logical of a non formalisable person. You cannot translate in the combinatorial or in term of numbers the "p" of Bp & p. The soul has no name, no 3-descriptions, from its point of view.

Yes, S4Grz, S4Grz1, X1, and X1* are quite remarkable, those logics formalize the discourse of beings which are themselves NO formalizable, nor even nameable by the machine, except by some vindication like "could you please take care where you put your foot".

In short, for such transcendent
individuation to be the case, there must *actually exist* a
first-person David who is conscious,

David the soul. Again, you get it for the machine by the Theatetical idea of defining the soul by the knower, and the knower by the connection between the believer (a mechanical body) and God, or simply Truth. It is the passage from G1 to S4Grz1. (the "1" has to be added in the for the machine in the comp frame). It *is* the passage from Bp to Bp & p. It is "p" (the truth of p) which is responsible for the non formalizability.

as well as merely logically
possessed, of the objects of his experience.

That's David-the-body, or the dynamical-believer machine. That's the one described by G and G*.

And as to the truth of this - of course - only he would know.

As I said. You put *very well* the thing. You add the "truth" at the right place, at an infinitesimal nuance I don't want to bother you with now.

David (both of him)

You will end up 8 of you. Or 4 + 4.infinity, Oh! well, thare are many ays to counts them. I say 8 for the 8 main intensional variant of "third person belief":

Bp
Bp & p
Bp & Dp
Bp & Dp & p

I have underlined those variants who corresponds to non formalizable beings. I have put in italic those who split in two, due to the G-G* gap. So you can count: there are 8. Self-referential machine have to live this that. They have already 8 quite different views on the truth. [or 4 + 4.infinity, because you have all the variant with B^n p & D^m p in place of Bp & Dp, and where B^5 p is BBBBBp ... ].

You have to study Gödel and Tarski theorem, or a result by Kaplan and Montague, recasted in the Solovay logics. Smorynski wrote a paper "50 years of arithmetical self-reference", a rather long time ago. Boolos 1979 and 1993 consecrated a chapter to the "knower" (S4Grz). A student and friend of mine has formalized Bp & Dp (the Z, Z1, Z* and Z1*) logics, but the case for S4GRz1, and the X, X1, X*, X1* logics remains unsolved. There are theorem prover for those logics, and so by an indirect argument we know them formalizable, but no one has found the axioms yet. Note that all those logic are non effectively soluble, once extended at the modal predicate level.

The hypostases give a knowledge of the believer, the conscious knower, the observer, the "feeler" each with they communicable and non communicable part, from which you can derive, the observable, the non observable, the feelable and the non feelable, well many things, including quanta and qualia.
Weakness: hard mathematics.

Ask any question if you feel so. I am aware it is hard and ultra- subtle stuff. Well, that is why only technics can handle those self- references.

Bruno Marchal