Friends,
that reminds me of my 1/2 c profession in - more or less - chemistry with a
conclusion that averted the brainwashing received in college (and applied in
my successful R&D work as long as it lasted) that the chemical 'formulae' of
compounds describe 'ingredients'.

You mentioned H2O - which is standing for *WATER.*  as solid ice, liquid, or
gas (vapor). You did not detail the 'ingredients' mixed up as H, O,
naturally non-existing entities except for quite esoteric conditions we
almost do not even know.  What we know is H2 and O2 molecules, none of them
detectable in water (any form) not even resembling characteristic in the mix
produced when water has been *DESTROYED*. Similarly we learned about H and O
when destroying H2 and O2 gasses. The resemblance comes as a result of
mathematical transforms. (Forget for now spectroscopical matches: they were
named backwards over hundreds of steps in tests just to show such matches).
Now every child knows that water consists of oxygen and hydrogen. And the
tooth fairy provides for the teeth. Gross negligence and superficiality.

So:

That is in a compound with MW(?) 18, ingredients: 2, extensively findable
and general. Imagine our conventional scientific question marks in - say -
proteins (MW: >millions, ingredients >18+) and zillions of
configurational/conformational design-potentials. Synthetic polymers seem
more regulated if you stick to the imagined atomic composition and forget
about the (conf/conf) design potentials, restricted into the features we
considered yesterday. (Nano-structures are new and who knows what else is
coming up?)
Conventional sciences is a nice pipe-dream, we take what we know - period.
Think further: and you are out, no publisher available, no pulpit to expose
ideas - of course, because those ideas usually exceed the measuring
capabilities of the past instrumental designs and so do not provide
(numerical!) data for mathematical churnings.

*"Compounds "exist"???"*  of course, we think of them, eo ipso they 'exist'
*in our minds*. Is there any other definition of *existing?* do we have
criteria for 'objective' reality? Can we observe/count measure it? Nope.

*"> > Compounds aren't postulated as some separate set  of entities--they
> > are just set theoretic constructs put of what does exsit. **H2O is not
> > distinct from the two H's and the O".*
just - as I tried to show it above - has nothing to do with them. Even
if you 'synthesize' for proof - you burn H2 *gas* in O2 *gas* (or vice
versa, nothing about *"H"* and *"O"*, with completely different attributes
and characteristics.

Careful with 'belief systems' called: conventional sciences: they are mostly
hearsay-based and justified backwards with evidence manufactured in the
course of million steps. Some retrograded.

Frustrated in my conventional knowledge-memories regarding chemistry
(Ph.D.,) and polymer molecular technology (D.Sc)  when thinking
forward

John M.