On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 4:12 PM, 1Z <peterdjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Nov 21, 6:43 pm, Rex Allen <rexallen31...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 7:36 AM, 1Z <peterdjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> No-one is. They are just valid descriptions. There is no argument
>>> to the effect that logic is causal or it is nothing. It is not
>>> the case that causal explanation is the only form of explanagion
>>
>> “Valid descriptions” don’t account for why things are this way rather
>> than some other way.
>>

> If a higher level description is a  valid description of
> some microphysics, then it will be an explanation of
> why the result happened given the initial conditions
>
> It won't solve the trilemma, but neither will
> microphysical causality

So Agrippa's Trilemma revolves around the question of how we can
justify our beliefs.

It seems to me that an entirely acceptable solution is just to accept
that we can't justify our beliefs.

>> As I said before, materialism could conceivably explain human ability
>> and behavior, but in my opinion runs aground at human consciousness.
>> Therefore, I doubt that humans are a complex sort of robot.
>
> Is human consciousness causally effective?

I don't believe so, no.

And claiming that consciousness is itself caused just runs into
infinite regress, as you then need to explain what causes the cause of
conscious experience, and so on.

Therefore, taking the same approach as with Agrippa's Trilemma, it
seems best to just accept that there is no cause for conscious
experience either.

Is it a useful answer?  Maybe not.  But where does it say that all
answers have to be useful?

Besides, what causes you to care about usefulness?  Evolution.

What causes evolution?  Initial conditions and causal laws.

What causes initial conditions and causal laws?

And so on.  We've been through this before I think.