From: Andrew Soltau
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:47 AM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Movie cannot think
On 09/03/11 16:53, Brent Meeker wrote:
  The appearance of change is already explained by the fact that there are
different frames that have an implicit sequence and in which the observers
state is different.  Further "explanation" is just muddying the picture - at
leas that's what Deutsch et al would say.

    by saying that the frame of reference is changed, f

  But this is no more than a magic finger pointing to the frames and saying,
"This one. And then this one.  And then...."

Which is what one seems to be experiencing.

  snip

  [SPK] One thing must be considered: There are more that one possible sequence
of observer states. Not only are we considering all possible frames for a
single movie but the frames for every possible movie too, even the ones that
are pure noise! All of them will be equally co-present in the heap and there is
no a priori bias for one over another.
      The magic finger is a figure of speech of something that selects one of
them: how is the one that is “actually experienced” selected? I propose that a
mutual constraint methodology such as what has been proposed as a solution the
the concurrency problem in computer science may answer this. But this
possibility seems to be a bit outside of the light of the lamppost under which
we currently are looking for the answer...

Onward!

Stephen