On 3/10/2011 7:15 AM, Stephen Paul King wrote:
*From:* Andrew Soltau <mailto:andrewsol...@gmail.com>
*Sent:* Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:47 AM
*To:* everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>
*Subject:* Re: Movie cannot think
On 09/03/11 16:53, Brent Meeker wrote:
The appearance of change is already explained by the fact that there are different frames that have an implicit sequence and in which the observers state is different. Further "explanation" is just muddying the picture - at leas that's what Deutsch et al would say.

by saying that the frame of reference is changed, f

But this is no more than a magic finger pointing to the frames and saying, "This one. And then this one. And then...."
Which is what one seems to be experiencing.
snip

    [SPK] One thing must be considered: There are more that one
    possible sequence of observer states. Not only are we considering
    all possible frames for a single movie but the frames for every
    possible movie too, even the ones that are pure noise! All of them
    will be equally co-present in the heap and there is no a priori
    bias for one over another.
        The magic finger is a figure of speech of something that
    selects one of them: how is the one that is “actually experienced”
    selected? I propose that a mutual constraint methodology such as
    what has been proposed as a solution the the concurrency problem
    in computer science may answer this. But this possibility seems to
    be a bit outside of the light of the lamppost under which we
    currently are looking for the answer...

Onward!
Stephen

Actually I think this picture of observer states as being like frames of a movie is misleading. What we could identify as an observation or an experience, overlaps with preceding and succeeding observer states and this provides an explicit order. Bruno's idea of digital simulation by a Turing machine, which has idealized discreet states, can only work at a much lower level so that a momentary "experience" corresponds to a very large number of simulation states.