It is interesting to note that the human psyche will break if cut off from
any sensory stimuli for more than about 48 hours.  I don't believe this is
due to some philosophical need for a mind to be connected to its
environment, however, rather I would guess it is due to the design of the
neurons or the programming of the brain which make the human mind dependent
on input to keep its other processes going.  If one made an accurate model
of the human brain and ran it on the computer you should get the same result
if you never fed it any input.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alfred-w-mccoy/confronting-the-cias-mind_b_212722.html

This secret research produced two discoveries central to the CIA's more
recent psychological paradigm. In classified experiments, famed Canadian
psychologist Donald Hebb found that he could induce a state akin to
drug-induced hallucinations and psychosis in just 48 hours -- without drugs,
hypnosis, or electric shock. Instead, for two days student volunteers at
McGill University simply sat in a comfortable cubicle deprived of sensory
stimulation by goggles, gloves, and earmuffs. "It scared the hell out of
us," Hebb said later, "to see how completely dependent the mind is on a
close connection with the ordinary sensory environment, and how
disorganizing to be cut off from that support."

Jason