What is your theory of identity?

Would you agree that if a certain object has identical properties, roles, and relations that it is the same?

Do you understand that within a program the properties, roles, and relations may be defined to perfectly match that of any other finite object?

If some object X in the context of this universe has the set of properties S. And some object Y in the context of a simulated universe has the same set of properties S. Then how can X be said to be different from Y?

You could say they exist in different contexts but then the existence of a difference becomes observer relative. A fire in the simulation only seems different from a fire in this universe because it is being comared from a different context. Likewise if our universe were a simulation then a fire in this universe would seem different from a fire in the universe hosting the simulation from the perspective of someone outside this universe.

We don't say storms are not wet because if god viewed this universe from the outside he would get no water on his shoes. So let us not compare apples to oranges when discussing the appropriate context for a simulated object.

The experience of fire is only possible when the context of the observer is the same context which contains an object with all the proprties of fire.

Between different levels of simulation there is an asymmetry. Higher levels (the ones performing the simulation) can interfere with the simulation, inject information into and extract information out. Lower levels cannot escape the simulation, alter it's rules, or learn anything definitive about the ultimate platform on which it runs.

Since information may be entered into this lower level universe, as well as taken out, then by simulating a mind (creating it's consciousness in this lower level universe) we can both supply sensory information and extract behavioral information and have these appear in our higher level universe. The consciousness that exists in that simulation is everybit as real as yours in this universe.

Simulation allows us to create (or access) other possible universes. Simulated carbon, in the context of the simulation, would be indistinguishable and have all the same properties as carbon in this universe. To say they differ is to believe that two objects alike in every possible way are still somehow different, despite that the difference could never be demonstrated.

Jason