On Aug 8, 12:04 pm, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> You mean some neuron are me? That is worst that the "grandmother
> neuron" idea.

All of your neurons are you, but the only some groups are aware that
they are you at any given time. If you're drunk, for instance, some
parts of you are not online and what remains is more in the limbic
region.

> > rather than a powerful computer executing
> > complicated instructions.
>
> This is just a question of making the comp level lower, and has no
> incidence on the consequences of comp.
> The molecules themselves have no individual differences, and in case
> they have, again, this would only put the level of substitution lower.
> No machines can know-for-sure its own substitution level, and the
> obligation to reduce physics to the arithmetical biology and theology
> of numbers follows only from the *existence* of a level, not on the
> choice of such a level.

Not sure what you're saying here. I was trying to point out that how
neurons actually behave seems not to be generic or mechanical on any
level. Each neuron would have to be it's own individualized
simulation, which itself may have to be based upon individualized
intra-cellular simulations, etc.

Craig