On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 6, 7:40 pm, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> When you are online you don't analyse the biochemical make-up of you
>> interlocutor, but you still come to a conclusion as to whether they
>> are intelligent or not. If in doubt you can always ask a series of
>> questions: I'm sure you are confident in your ability to tell the
>> difference between a person and a bot. But there may come a time when
>> it is impossible in general to tell the difference,
> Why does that matter though? What does being able to tell the
> difference between a bot and a person have to do with a bot feeling
> like a person?

That, as I keep saying, is the question. Assume that the bot can
behave like a person but lacks consciousness. Then it would be
possible to replace parts of your brain with non-conscious components
that function otherwise normally, which would lead to you lacking some
important aspect aspect of consciousness but being unaware of it. This
is absurd, but it is a corollary of the claim that it is possible to
separate consciousness from function. Therefore, the claim that it is
possible to separate consciousness from function is shown to be false.
If you don't accept this then you allow what you have already admitted
is an absurdity.

> and then we will
>> have human level AI (soon after we will have superhuman AI and soon
>> after that the human race may be supplanted, but that's a separate
>> question).
> The human race has already been supplanted by a superhuman AI. It's
> called law and finance.

They are not entities and not intelligent, let alone intelligent in
the way humans are.

>> > I don't understand what all of this debate over how intelligence seems
>> > from the outside has to do with how it is experienced from the inside.
>> > Here's a thought experiment for the anti-zombie. If I study randomness
>> > and learn to impersonate machine randomness perfectly, have I become a
>> > machine? Have I lost sentience? Why not?
>> Intelligence can fake non-intelligence, but non-intelligence can't
>> fake intelligence.
> But intelligence can fake intelligence using non-intelligence. A
> computer isn't faking intelligence, it's just spinning a quantitative
> instruction set through semiconductors. It's only us who think it's
> intelligent. In fact it is intelligent, as a long polymer molecule is
> intelligent, but it is not conscious as an animal is conscious.

It seems that you are conflating intelligence with consciousness.
Intelligence is what is observed, while consciousness relates to the
internal experience. A zombie is intelligent but not conscious.

Stathis Papaioannou