On Aug 6, 7:40 pm, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:

> When you are online you don't analyse the biochemical make-up of you
> interlocutor, but you still come to a conclusion as to whether they
> are intelligent or not. If in doubt you can always ask a series of
> questions: I'm sure you are confident in your ability to tell the
> difference between a person and a bot. But there may come a time when
> it is impossible in general to tell the difference,

Why does that matter though? What does being able to tell the
difference between a bot and a person have to do with a bot feeling
like a person?

and then we will
> have human level AI (soon after we will have superhuman AI and soon
> after that the human race may be supplanted, but that's a separate
> question).

The human race has already been supplanted by a superhuman AI. It's
called law and finance.

> > I don't understand what all of this debate over how intelligence seems
> > from the outside has to do with how it is experienced from the inside.
> > Here's a thought experiment for the anti-zombie. If I study randomness
> > and learn to impersonate machine randomness perfectly, have I become a
> > machine? Have I lost sentience? Why not?
>
> Intelligence can fake non-intelligence, but non-intelligence can't
> fake intelligence.

But intelligence can fake intelligence using non-intelligence. A
computer isn't faking intelligence, it's just spinning a quantitative
instruction set through semiconductors. It's only us who think it's
intelligent. In fact it is intelligent, as a long polymer molecule is
intelligent, but it is not conscious as an animal is conscious.

Craig