On Aug 8, 2:21 pm, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 8/8/2011 6:13 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>
> > The machine doesn't care if it's right or wrong
>
> But my thermostat cares whether it's hot or cold.

I see what you are saying, but no, it doesn't care. If it cared then
it would not have to be programmed or set, it would just try to keep
the temperature comfortable for itself. If it's the dead of winter and
you don't have it set to heat, you will freeze to death and nobody
will pay the electric bill and the thermostat won't ever do anything
again. It has no capacity to understand what it is or what it's doing.

Craig