In any case, I have made the thought experiment simpler by*assuming*
that the replacement component is mechanically equivalent to the
biological tissue. We can imagine that it is a black box animated by
God, who makes it tickle the surrounding neural tissue in exactly the
right way. I think installation of such a device would*necessarily*
preserve consciousness. What do you think?

Are you assuming that there is no "consciousness" in the black box?