-----Original Message-----
From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Craig Weinberg
Sent: Monday, 15 August 2011 10:07 AM
To: Everything List
Subject: Re: Turing Machines

On Aug 14, 7:29 pm, Colin Geoffrey Hales <cgha...@unimelb.edu.au>
wrote:
> Great video ... a picture of simplicity....
>
> Q. 'What is it like to be a Turing Machine?" = Hard Problem.
>
> A. It's like being the pile of gear in the video, NO MATTER WHAT IS ON
> THE TAPE.

Why doesn't it matter what's on the tape? If I manually move the tape
under the scanner myself, will the gear as a whole know the
difference? If I dismantle the machine or turn it off will it care?

Craig

Colin ============

Precisely. How can it possibly 'care'? If the machine was (1) spread across the
entire solar system, or (2) miniaturized to the size of an atom, (3) massively
parallel, (4) quantum, (5) digital, (6) analog or (7) whatever..... it doesn't
matter.... it will always be "what it is like to be the physical object (1),
(2), (3), (4), (5), (6), (7)", resp., no matter what is on the tape. If find
the idea that the contents of the tape somehow magically delivers a first
person experience to be intellectually moribund.

The point is, what magic is assumed in the contents of the tape being fiddled
with 'Turing-ly' delivers first person content? Legions of folks out there will
say "its all information processing!", to which I add... the brain, which is
the 100% origins of the only 'what it is like' description we know of, is NOT
doing what the video does.

So.... good question. I wish others would ask it.

Colin