On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 11:23 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> If the brain does something not predictable by modelling its
>> biochemistry that means it works by magic.
>
> Then you are saying that whether you accept what I'm what I'm writing
> here or not is purely predictable through biochemistry alone or else
> must be 'magic'. So in order for you to change your mind, some
> substance needs to cross your blood brain barrier, and that the
> content of your mind - the meaning of what you are choosing to think
> about right now can only be magic. I think my approach is much more
> scientific. I'm not prejudging what the solution can or cannot be in
> advance.
>
> If you want to call psychology magic, that's ok with me, but it
> certainly drives biochemistry as much as it is driven by biochemistry.
> Why is it so hard to accept that both levels of reality are in fact
> real? Our body doesn't seem to have a problem taking commands from our
> mind. Why should I deny that those commands have a source which cannot
> be adequately described in terms of temperature and pressure or
> voltage? To presume that we can only know what the mind is by studying
> it's shadow in the brain is, I think catastrophically misguided and
> ultimately unworkable. If not for our own experiences of the mind,
> biochemistry would not tell us that such a thing could possibly exist.

Our body precisely follows the deterministic biochemical reactions
that comprise it. The mind is generated as a result of these
biochemical reactions; a reaction occurs in your brain which causes
you to have a thought to move your arm and move your arm. How could it
possibly be otherwise?

--
Stathis Papaioannou