On Aug 16, 3:22 am, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 12:18 AM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > You can simulate it as far as being able to model the aspects of it's
> > behavior that you can observe, but you can't necessarily predict that
> > behavior over time, any more than you can predict what other people
> > might say to you today. The chemistry and physics of the brain are
> > partially determined by the experiences of the environment through the
> > body, and partially determined by the sensorimotive agenda of the
> > mind, which are both related to but not identical with the momentum
> > and consequences of it's neurological biochemistry. All three are are
> > woven together as an inseparable whole.
>
> If the brain does something not predictable by modelling its
> biochemistry that means it works by magic.

Then you are saying that whether you accept what I'm what I'm writing
here or not is purely predictable through biochemistry alone or else
must be 'magic'. So in order for you to change your mind, some
substance needs to cross your blood brain barrier, and that the
content of your mind - the meaning of what you are choosing to think
about right now can only be magic. I think my approach is much more
scientific. I'm not prejudging what the solution can or cannot be in
advance.

If you want to call psychology magic, that's ok with me, but it
certainly drives biochemistry as much as it is driven by biochemistry.
Why is it so hard to accept that both levels of reality are in fact
real? Our body doesn't seem to have a problem taking commands from our
mind. Why should I deny that those commands have a source which cannot
be adequately described in terms of temperature and pressure or
voltage? To presume that we can only know what the mind is by studying
it's shadow in the brain is, I think catastrophically misguided and
ultimately unworkable. If not for our own experiences of the mind,
biochemistry would not tell us that such a thing could possibly exist.

Craig