Stathis, allow me to barge in before Craig.
I am glad you ask  - * the wrong question*,
I am not FOR the brain to think, it is a tool working in the process we did
not so far deciphered. (That's exactly MY agnosticism). So we are talking
about tools, be it 'chemistry' (an explanational figment of conventional
sciences for pheomena so far only partially learned, but "scientificall"
explained (almost!) into atomic etc. theories and math), - or 'electronic'
devises we construct with capabilities to do exactly what we expect from
them to do.

Maybe the IBM Synapse can do at least as well as we get the results from
'brainwork'.
I would not assign 'creativity' to chemistry (what I practiced and learned)
only 'applications'.
There is one item that startles me in this respect: Robert Rosen's (Mihai
Nadin's) initial work on *Anticipatory Systems  *where anticipation is an
unprecedented 'barging-in' beyond the given circumstances (allegedly).

I am willing to go as far as a "slight shaving" beyond the borders of our
known limitations - into the 'right-or-wrong' unknowable to be checked
 (better: verified) later on. * *We see abundant bad anticipation in
economic. genetic and political etc. assumptions to make us careful in
anticipation. If so many anticipation goes wrong, the conventional
"foretelling" has to be taken with a spoon-full of scrutiny.

A question in your profession: would you vouch for our present knowledge to
have deciphered all that is to *mentality* by the so far discovered *
brain-organ's* functional data?
(And I want to be restricted here to *physical *measurements/data only).
--------------------------------
You asked a question:

*"As a chemist, have you seen any special magic in chemical
reactions that might explain the brain's ability to think?"*
*
*
No, but I have encountered *questions* about
1. what does it mean "to think" (and all its cousins)
2. how is the 'hard problem' answerable? (transition from milliamps etc. to
ideas)
3. what mechanism (if...) is stronger than the neuronal brain to decide e.g.
self destruct?
4. has 'creativity' the same meaning in our vocabularies?
5 - 1000 I save those.

Regards

John
*